Despite the taboo associated with it, anal sex can be quite pleasurable for both men (straight or gay alike) and women due to the number of nerve endings in the rectum. You read that correctly, anal stimulation can be pleasurable for almost anyone.
Some ground rules:
Communication is key
- Do not assume that your partner is "up for this"
- Explain why this is of interest to each other.
- Do some research together and learn more about why others enjoy it.
- While there is room for discussion and persuasion in any aspect of a relationship, this is one of those areas where both partners should respect each others' limits.
- Do not try to sneak this in and say "Oops" - this is not only impolite and uncomfortable, it is just plain wrong.
- Yes, we are talking about the butt. And we realize what its main job is.
- A lot of people are afraid that they will poop while they are having anal sex.
- If you are worried about making a mess, you can take precautions.
- Remember that unless you are ill (in which case you are unlikely to want to have any sex), you should have warning of any imminent accidents or movements.
- There are a number of Ergoflo items which we offer that are helpful in cleaning out your bowels.
- Never insert anything (toy, finger, penis, etc.) into the vagina immediately after it was in the rectum. You must clean it thoroughly before inserting into vagina to prevent the spread of harmful bacteria or infection.
- Unlike the vagina, the rectum is not self-lubricating
- It is absolutely critical that you utilize an abundant amount of lubrication.
- Because you will not likely want to re-apply the lubricant repeatedly, silicone lubes are recommended for their longevity and comfort.
- You may also use a hybrid (silicone and water) lubricant.
- Make sure that whatever lubricant you use is conducive to the material of either the toy or condom involved.
- Avoid using lubricants containing glycerin or other sugar-like substances as they can promote infections.
- Rectal muscles are naturally tight and unaccustomed to stretching for prolonged periods of time
- Rectal muscle tissue can tear easily and cause fissures so do not rush.
- You will want to start out gently.
- Communicate throughout to make sure that both partners are comfortable.
- Women who use strap-ons do not secretly want to be men
- Heterosexual men who enjoy a woman's use of a strap-on with them are not necessarily gay (and what if they are?)
- Penetration (anal primarily but also vaginal) both during sex and not
- Many butt plugs are shaped and designed so that they can be used for clitoral or vaginal stimulation as well.
- Some women find the presence of a plug in their anus during vaginal sex to be very satisfying, more so when it vibrates. The vibrations can be stimulating for both partners
- Help prepare partners for anal play
- Designed to be worn discretely throughout the day, they can stretch the muscles around the anus so they can more easily accommodate a more substantial penetration for more advanced play.
Frequent ejaculations (21 or more monthly) can reduce a man's risk of prostate cancer by as much as 33%. Milking the prostate is a method for removing stagnant semen from the prostate gland which can reduce the likelihood of potentially harmful bacteria from forming. Milking the prostate, particularly during oral sex, has been known to increase the intensity male orgasm. We highly recommend using generous amounts of lube and if you are concerned about making a mess, use a glove.
Please enjoy the clip below.
We love this video from our friends at TANTUS.
Check out our full line of anal toys.
- Anal Sex Basics: The Beginner's Guide to Maximizing Anal Pleasure for Every Body by Carlyle Jansen
- Tristan Taormino's Anal Adviser column
- Psychology Today: The Curious Couple's Guide to Strap-On Dildos
- Ejaculation frequency and subsequent risk of prostate cancer
- Five Questions about the Benefits of Prostate Massaging
- Volonte: Health Benefits of Sex for Men